CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Copan Honduras





 
"they began to grow exceedingly in the knowledge of their God;...to keep his commandments, and to walk in truth and uprightness before him.  And thus we see that the Lord began to pour out his Spirit upon them, because of their easiness and willingness to believe in his words." 
 Helaman 6:34, 36




We left for Copan, Tuesday 11 of Sept.  The Petersens came to see us off.  Kitleys, Gibbons, Thompsons, Halls, Us, and Petersens.  Pres. Petersen and Frank.
It took us longer to get to Copan.  The roads in Guatemala were full of pot holes and narrow.  We checked in the hotel and then went to the town plaza, where we are sitting.  One of the cobble stone streets, with shops on both sides.             
We stayed at the Clarion hotel.  I took the first picture in the morning of the 12 September from our room window.  After breakfast we headed to the Copan Ruins.  Kitleys, Us, Bro. Thompson, Gibbons, Halls.






 

 


One of the first things we saw at the Copan Ruins park was a Guacamaya bird. There were many large pyramids with many statues or stilas around and on them.  We are in front of one. 

  Frank is standing by a stila and pointing to the writings or figures on it. When he was a young missionary, a man copied those figures and made a wooden plaque with the figures on it.  Next picture we are climbing up a mound that is covering a templo or building. 
 
Here we are standing by the different stilas 
At the park we were able to go through underground tunnels and see the different layers of the pyramids. They would bury and then build over an existing pyramid.



Here Frank is standing next to a tall exposed wall that shows the different layers of pyramids.  I think they said there were nine layers.  The next picture is a stairway to the top of a pyramid.
We went through the museum and saw this replica of a dwelling place. They said the originals were made in these colors.  Over time they faded away.  Sister Petersen took a picture when we got home at 8:30pm. Tried and glad to be home.

 
I am having trouble posting pictures but I will keep trying.  If you click on a picture it will come up in a larger size and then you can go through all the pictures on this post and see them in a bigger size. 

 

1 comments:

Walt and Eileen

I always love your posts! I don't like the new format either....can't figure out how to edit. I never get it right the first time.
Con amor, Hermana Petersen - Eileen

Post a Comment